As you know, we are moving to a remote learning based model, given the recent school closures due to COVID-19. We compiled this resource for you as a support and guide to help you and your families during this time. We are sending you all the love and support we can, and while we know it won’t be easy for you, we are here for you. Please reach out via email as needed.
Jessica Forman- 6th and 7th grade counselor email@example.com
Cynthia Caspi- 7th and 8th grade counselor firstname.lastname@example.org
Elisabetta Brown- Mandated school counselor email@example.com
Suzann Jacquez-Sanchez- LCSW, Bilingual School Social Worker firstname.lastname@example.org
What if I am feeling really down, in crisis, or in an emergency?
- Crisis Text Line: Text HOME to 741-741 to be connected to a counselor
- NYC Well: Call 1-888-692-9355, text “WELL” to 65173, or chat with a counselor at this link.
- HelpChat is free and confidential online chat that can help reduce stress, depression, and fear as a result of being bullied and be empowered to make healthy decisions (ages 13-24).
https://www.stompoutbullying.org/get-help/helpchat-line HelpChat hours are Monday 6pm – 12am and Tuesday 8pm – 12am
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: Call 1-800-273-8255 or chat with a counselor at this link.
- 911: IF YOU (OR SOMEONE AROUND YOU) ARE IN ACTIVE DANGER, CALL 911
Tips for Managing Stress
This is an opportunity for all of us to develop healthy coping skills that will last us through these weeks and beyond. If you find yourself overwhelmed, try some of the strategies below. Try each a few times, rating your stress level from 1-5 before and after using the strategy. Then check off the ones that work well for you.
- Breathe in for 3 seconds, out for 6 seconds. Repeat 5 times
- Hold your hand to your heart and feel it slow down
- Name 3 things you can see, 2 things you can hear, and 1 thing you can feel…this will help ground you
- Imagine your favorite place
- Take a shower or bath
- Repeat a positive statement about yourself three times
- Write in a journal
- Talk to a friend or trusted adult
- Write a song, poem or draw
- Exercise (stretching, dancing, jumping jacks, pushups)
- Scan your body for any discomfort
- Tense and relax your muscles, one by one
Guided mediation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OWS8ecIokk
How to use Emotional Freedom Technique (Tapping) to calm your state: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edEtP55rsg0
Tapping for calm: https://www.facebook.com/jondi.whitis/videos/10158484241702446/
Emotional first aid- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpU6Nac_up0
Download “Calm” app for meditations and breathing