Our library builds school culture and student choice by providing diverse material, access to technology and special programming to appeal to students’ interests.
M.S. 88’s Library Programs Include:
- Mutt-i-grees: bringing service learning and an empathy-based SEL program to schools through North Shore Animal League.
- Comfort Dog Pilot Program
- Burritos For Books Chipotle Challenge (supporting school-wide reading culture)
- Service in Schools Program (bringing our learning into community)
- Brooklyn Public Library Sponsored Author Visits
- Principal’s Council (student advocacy and local government ties)
How the Library supports our reading culture:
- Library Lunch (projects, clubs, homework, computers, etc.)
- Building a library collection that reflects our student body and interests (
- Connecting Nonfiction to Fiction through collection development and displays
- Library Open Access Periods (flexibility for teachers and students)
- Current Events Displays
- Student-led book clubs
Media Literacy Classes:
- Current Events (We don’t like the idea of fake news so we teach Information Literacy!)
- Learning how to analyze and create media
- Project-based learning based on interest (Mutt-i-grees Challenge Websites)
- Afterschool Computer Club (Coding and open programs like Minecraft allow them to explore their interests)
Social Emotional Learning:
- All students can be brought into the fold with building-wide programs and lots of choice!
- Principal’s Council meetings give our student leaders the ability to have a dialogue with our staff and make important decisions for the student body.
Google Slide Deck For Google Training: